Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is prayer to you?

I've been thinking of this often as I pray more and more every day now for your requests and concerns. Jesus talks about prayer in the Bible and prays himself a lot, so what is it? I've heard it is "talking to God" but than how do you "have" to be to talk to God? Do you have to be on your knees, folding hands, eyes closed? Can I meditate on God at my desk doing work every day? I believe one can meditate at work and pray while doing work without having to go through the usual prayer motions described above. But there is a time and place for bowing, folding hands, and coming humbly before God with our thoughts and concerns. My wife and I have been reciting "The Lord's Prayer" and the "Shema" with the kids every night because it gives a great description of what prayer looks like. But what does it mean to you? What is the purpose you have when you pray? To me, it is telling God what is on my mind willingly placing every concern and care I have before Him even though He already knows what is needed. Does that make sense? I acknowledge God is God, is creator of heaven and earth: Baruch eta Adonai, eloheinu melech haolam; pray for my friends and my enemies a blessing from God, which would be knowing and trusting in Him. Anyway, what are your thoughts on prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment