Friday, August 13, 2010

Letter of the Law VS Spirit of the Law

It is Friday, August 13th, 2010 and by 10 p.m. I will be at Camp Ripley for my second to the last weekend of Army National Guard Drill. On September 26th, 2 weeks after my last drill September 11-12, I will officially be out of the military entirely after 11 years of military service. I will be straight forward with this comment and with my thoughts.
The Army will lose what would have been a very good, yes, very good chaplain. “The Law” for active duty military I fought against, and lost, for over a year is: Those wanting to be an active duty military chaplain first must have served 2 years in a full time ministry position. What about someone who served 10 years in the military like myself? It doesn’t count!
So instead of the Army accepting someone who knows what to do in the military with 9 years of enlisted service and 2 years as an officer; has been to war in Iraq informally counseling many soldiers of all faiths so will therefore do the same as a chaplain going outside the wire whenever needed; started and led Bible Studies with soldiers of all faiths; informally counseled soldiers of all faiths at 2 in the morning when they knocked on my door in the barracks, not the chaplain’s door; spent 2 years in Ukraine before the Army preaching in Russian and leading Bible Studies; and has played guitar leading worship for Army chapel services for 3 years in Germany and Iraq; etc…..
The Active Army wants someone who has preached the litmus test of sermons but knows nothing of the military; knows nothing of what it means to work for the government having to balance the “God and Country” role as a chaplain serving everyone from Pentecostal Christians to Southern Baptist Christians to Hindus to Muslims to Jews.
So, I joined the Guard to become a chaplain and find work in a church but soon discovered that churches don’t want to hire those in the military, with understanding. I had someone say to me, “I have 19 applying to this position and you’re the only one with a conflict of being in the Guard. If I hire you to be our youth pastor you could be deployed at any time for a year or more leaving us with no youth pastor again. The other 18 don’t have that.” I can’t argue with someone looking for continuity in his church, especially for youth.
So, I resigned my commission and on September 26th, 2010, I will be out of the Army entirely and the Army will lose what would have been a Great Chaplain! Letter of the Law controls the Spirit of the Law at the Army’s loss!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that, Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their loss is going to be someone else's gain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kate and Pam. Thanks for your comments. It's bittersweet. I had a good time this last weekend at drill counseling soldiers before they deployed and wish I could do that every day. These last 2 years have really tested my faith in not being able to get that job, being unemployed for 8 months, and now being underemployed. I often wonder if God really knows what's going on and cares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does, but sometimes it's really hard to see it. I've had my share of "David" moments saying "How long oh Lord will you forget me. How long oh Lord will you look the other way. How long oh Lord will I wrestle with my thoughts and every day find such sorrow in my heart. Look on me and answer, Oh God my father"...(PS 13). Even since Sophie was born I've had occasion to say these words to God, so you aren't alone in that boat.

    ReplyDelete